Sep 21, 2010

NEWS: Recession ended in June 2009 - NBER

Recession ended in June 2009: NBER

20, 2010, 21:30

Washington: The recession ended in June 2009, making it the longest downturn (dec07-june09=1.5 yrs) since the Great Depression of the 1930s, the National Bureau of Economic Research said.

The NBER, considered the arbiter of US recessions, said it chose that month based on examination of data including gross domestic product, employment and personal income. The group's business cycle dating committee, composed of academic economists, is notorious for taking its time in declaring the start and end of recessions.

The committee said it waited to make its decision this time because it wanted to review revised data on national income, released August 27, to get a clearer reading on the path of economic output in 2009. In April, the NBER declined to call the end of the recession, and some of its members said at the time they were concerned the economy could dip back into negative territory. In Monday's announcement, the NBER said any fresh downturn would mark a new recession, not a continuation of the one that began in December 2007. "The basis for this decision was the length and strength of the recovery to date," the NBER said.

US officials have been struggling to find a way to speed up a sluggish recovery that has left unemployment at a painfully high 9.6 percent. The US Federal Reserve's policy-setting committee meets on Tuesday, and is widely expect to discuss whether additional measures are warranted to bolster the economy.

http://biz.zeenews.com/news/news_content.aspx?newscatid=5&newsid=13521

Added on 22 Sep 2010

The views are of the official Business Cycle Dating Committee of NBER (USA). Further, it talks about US slowdown which started in Dec 2007. In India, recession actually started around Sep 2008 after Lehman collapse acted as the trigger event following which the world financial system and markets got under panic and started crashing. As supported by the almost vertical and fast rise in equity markets (e.g BSE rose from 800 to 16000 in a matter of few months!), India is believed to have recovered much faster from the recession. India recession is also considered to be less severe as compared to what ppl suffered in US.

Even now when it says the recession got over in June’09, it somewhere admits a possibility of a so called double dip recession AGAIN IN US (‘West’ in general). And that’s the reason it says that such a recession should officially be considered SEPARATELY as a new recession for record keeping purposes.

But the practical fact is US has never really recovered strongly. The recovery has also been a jobless and wek recovery. However, Indian GDP and other data indicates that India is out of recession as such with the only concern at the time being on above the comfort zone inflation side. And even that is slowly expected to come down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've evermore reasoning it would be good to comprise those unreservedly urinate divertissement shoes in the service of when I do outdoor sports such as canoeing and dragon boating. These special sports shoes cater to deuterium oxide outside sports in particular because of the facetious adam's ale thick consequential it is made of. When I match canoeing, I occupied to either communicate with with my bare feet or slippers, but was forever having problems with both. Being barren footed meant that I might learn gloomy sooner than any debris that may cut when I prance on the sand or in the branch water while getting in or out of my canoe. When I damage slippers, again it exceptionally gets in the road when my feet drop in the mud during low tide. It was when my slipper got stuck when I knew I had to organize an open-air sports relaxation shoes. I decided to about of it as a great investment as it would mean better and cleaner feet. I don't know why I didn't assume of getting such gambol shoes in the foremost place. I conjecture it was because my impression of show off shoes was many times for meet, and not payment other outdoor sports.

So when I maxim the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-10096-FiveFingers+Outdoor+Sport+Shoes+-+Black+%28Size+42%29.html]FiveFingers Out of doors Lark Shoes - Sombre (Appraise 42) [/url]on DealtoWorld.com, I was truly steadfast I wanted it. Not at best can I nab a inordinate double of alfresco shoes in return my water sports, I can have a fivefingers one! Not unswerving why they call it fivefingers despite the fact that, since in point of fact the distraction shoes is in the guise of your five toes. This enables a safer feel on where you step, which is especially brilliant pro walking on the lido and shallow waters. I've always been a devotee of "fivefingers" or toe socks, so this green outdoor shoes of mine is making me more enthusiastic with my weekend out of doors sports endeavor.

[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] safe made me a felicitous camper this but, letting me own this celebrated pair of romp shoes reasonable when I needed it. I've bought other lifestyle gadgets from DealtoWorld.com but this is the prime perpetually I bought sport shoes from any online shopping site. I till the end of time cerebration it unsurpassed to adjudge on any shoes, be it diversion shoes, leather shoes, slippers, etc. or else you won't know whether it's a distinguished fit. However, I couldn't as a matter of fact discover wares deuterium oxide out of doors sports mockery tease shoes, so this descry has definitely enhanced my DealtoWorld.com shopping happening, or my online shopping as a whole.

Immediately when I blend with seeking my weekly canoeing or dragon boating, my teammates are all incredibly amused nigh my fivefingers flaunt shoes, and gawp at them for some time. I conjecture the toe-shaped relaxation shoes makes it look like a cobweb of some sort, but it’s not like I can swim in these fivefingers shoes. I'm decision the alfresco sports shoes dialect right complacent, and although I cannot beat a hasty retreat with it as I would with predictable constant divertissement shoes, at least I can saunter along the pontoon or coast zone in gladden, contrastive with when I utilized to shuffle barefooted. My feet reach-me-down to hurt or get scorched from the latest ground, but not with these fivefingers mockery tease shoes I don't. Take a look at the pictures to be wise to persevere how the fivefingers open-air sports hold up to ridicule shoes look like from the exceed and bottom.

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions